Saturday, May 26, 2012

The First Post

Hello everyone!  I thought it would be an interesting idea for those of you who have stayed here and for those of you yet to come, to see what we do here and what goes on at Newholme and in Stirling.  There's no better time than the present to begin posting as we are currently experiencing a 'Scottish heatwave' of sorts and there's lots going on!

Yesterday I managed to get the hanging baskets sorted and they are residing in the mini green house until they 'beautify' a bit.  Also, planted the sweet peas which will be fragrant and fantastic in a few months if the bunnies don't manage to get to them first!

For those of you who have been here before, you might remember seeing a fairly big bloke on a Saturday morning tooting around in the garden...that's Willie (whose real name is Billy) and he's been a gardener here at Newholme forever.  if you get into a conversation with him you'll realise that you won't be able to understand most of what he's saying...I've been here just over five years now and I thought I would be able to, at some point, decipher his thick Scottish brogue, but it hasn't happened yet.  Still love him and can't believe the amount of work he gets done in such a short period of time and I think he's nearing 70!  Willie has just dug up the veggie patch and I'm in discussions with the main man (my husband David) as to what we will be planting this year....my suggestions are courgettes, peppers, lots of herbs, onions ,garlic and squash of various sorts.  I think we're going to try the all year round garden planning and see how we manage!  With me quitting my job to work with David on the Links Club, we may not be able to afford groceries so here's hoping it goes well!

Until next time!  Nikki

The baskets...each one a different colour scheme.


The sweet peas...grow, grow, grow!!!


Part of the garden...beautiful day!


This is where I'm posting from.


The veggie plot newly turned over by Willie!  Thanks Willie!

No comments: