Friday, November 23, 2012

The Festive Season



It's the day after Thanksgiving and, yes, I realise that I'm in Scotland but I will never be giving up my expat Thanksgivings.  Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday...all about food without the stress of having to buy the perfect presents for everyone. Needless to say, I've got a full belly and am thinking about everybody back home in California.

When I was still back in California, Thanksgiving marked the kick-off of the festive season and when we were younger, the day after Thanksgiving was not spent shopping but rather we all piled into our pick-up truck, drove an hour to a Christmas tree farm and chopped down our Christmas tree.  I loved this because I love the festive season.  But you should see the looks I get from folks over here - it's like I'm on the crazy train when I mention Christmas decorating and trimmings.  Is the end of November really too early to start the holidays?  Aside from the shopping, I love Christmas time - people are generally in a better mood, you make time to get together with friends, and the joy flows a little bit more this time of year so why not stretch it out a bit and start a tad early?

We have guests that will be arriving for Christmas and I can't wait to decorate Newholme.  It's a big beautiful spaces with so many mantles crying out to be adorned with greenery and bobbles.  The drawing room is the perfect spot for the Christmas tree with plenty of space to open pressies while drinking coffee and hot chocolate with a fire rumbling in the back.  I'll be posing plenty of pictures so stay tuned and until then have a lovely festive season!

No comments: